Saturday, February 7, 2009

It's a Choice..

I got up early this morning to talk with my husband, 5000 miles away in London. We relish our Skype chats, and normally nothing can interfere with that special time. This morning, however, his internet is down. Of course, my first response is a bit of frustration that I have waited all week to talk to him, and I feel disappointed and sad. As my new repertoire of skills in changing the way I look at things builds, I realize that I have a choice. I can send him a loving text message encouraging him to continue working on papers he has to get done for his class, and I can find a way to use this time to start my day off on a positive note.

So.. what do I plan to do?
  • email my sisters who I miss dearly
  • post a little message to my son and daughter, away at college
  • update my blog, which is a new goal for me
  • savor my warm coffee, the aroma and full flavor slowly waking me up for the day
  • read more of the book, Positivity, by Barbara Fredrickson
  • maybe even get on my elliptical for 20 minutes! imagine that!
  • linger in the warm shower and enjoy the scent of my favorite ginger body wash..
  • listen to music that enlivens my spirits
The point is.. we have choices each moment to savor and select the lens that provides the best capacity for joy. Yes, I miss talking with my best friend this morning. As I acknowledge and validate those feelings, I can also focus on gratitude for the beautiful and loving relationship that we share. The slightly cynical perfectionist in me retorts, "Gag! Are you really this positive?"
At this present moment, the answer is a resounding,"yes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified of comments, please email joanmancini@yahoo.com so I can add you to the list.